Monday 15 June 2015

Entertainment Monday: Citizen Cope (Monday 6/15/2015)





Entertainment Monday: Citizen Cope

Clarence Greenwood (aka Citizen Cope) is a performer I was first introduced to through the movie Ghost Town which came out in 2008.  I rented the movie one night with some friends or family (I can't remember which) and really enjoyed Citizen Cope's Sideways which was featured in the film.  I highly recommend the movie by the way which stars the highly underrated Ricky Gervais and Tea Leoni. 

I like Citizen Cope's sound because he has such a distinctive voice relative to a lot of the alternative music I typically hear. Sideways is a bit repetitive lyrically and the tune is slow but it effectively elicits a kind of sad/romantic vibe.  

Sideways by Citizen Cope.


Another song I very much like by Citizen Cope is Son's Gonna Rise, which has a very different sound in my opinion to Sideways. 

Son's Gonna Rise


What's a bit different for me with sharing Citizen Cope's music here is that a lot of the bands I share are bands I would absolutely love to see live or have seen perform live and been a fan of for years.  Citizen Cope is a performer who I'm not extremely familiar with so I'm not sure if  I'd want to see him live.  The few things I've heard from him I enjoy.  A lot of the music comes across as really personal even if the lyrics are not always deeply thought provoking per se.  For lack of a better term, there is a raw sound to his music that I enjoy.  Hopefully some of our readers who may not have heard of Citizen Cope will enjoy it too.  =)

Pablo Picasso



No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...