Monday 5 October 2015

Entertainment Monday: Phoenix (Monday, October 5, 2015)





Entertainment Monday: Phoenix

One of the things I really love about Indie Music is how broad the genre it is relative to where it's being produced.  I've fallen in love with bands and performers from Australia, England, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, South Africa.... on and on... literally from countries around the globe.  I have not yet ever shared a band here who hails from France, and while they are not particularly new to the Indie Rock scene, a band I was first exposed to 4 or 5 years ago that I've come to love is Phoenix.  Phoenix hails from Versailles, France and it's band members are Thomas Mars, Deck d'Arcy, Christian Mazzalai and Laurent Brancowitz.

 Phoenix kind of hit the big time here in the United States with their 2009 album Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, a nice little play on Mozart's name there in their album title. It was then that I first heard songs like Lisztomania and 1901.  My sister and brother in law and I will often talk music when I get to visit with them and I know they liked the band as well.

Sometimes I like the sound of a band and that's one of the things that really captures me when listening to Phoenix, because truth be told I had never made the connection between Lisztomania and Franz Liszt until I watched the Youtube video the first time.  Go figure... A classical music lover not being able to figure that out from a group whose album title features another prominent classical composer. >.<  Oh well... I never laid claim to being the smartest bear out there.

Lisztomania



 1901 is another awesome tune from Phoenix

1901



 A song that came out off of Phoenix's 2003 album Bankrupt, Trying to Be Cool, proves that the band lives up to the effort.  Not too many bands have a "cooler" sound to them then Phoenix's songs. 


An equally awesome song off of Bankrupt that I loved the first time I heard it is Entertainment!  Entertainment is probably my favorite Phoenix song.   I love the video too! =)



One day I should start listening to foreign alternative/indie bands in their own languages and not just in English.  Of course while it's nice to know the meaning behind lyrics, I've listened to Opera for years without knowing the exact words of many of the Arias I listen to.  I can still enjoy the emotion and the vocals.  Some of the popular music that Carlyn has shared here in Korean has been some of my first exposure to Popular or Indie music in another language.  




1 comment:

  1. I had never head of Phoenix before. I liked all the songs you posted and I thought the video clips were creative.

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...