Thursday 19 July 2012

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

The first time I read Pride and Prejudice was when I was in the 9th grade. I had not read a single classic book in my life and I wanted to see why classic books had endured so long, so I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I immediately took a liking to the book for Austen wrote about characters I could relate to (Mrs and Mr Bennet remind me of my own parents) and she had a quick wit and a fluid and elegant writing style.
I have since read all of Jane Austen’s works many times over and have read more classic books because of my good start with Jane Austen’s books. When I heard about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith, I was very interested in reading it. I am a fan of Shaun of the Dead so naturally when I heard about zombies and Pride Prejudice I was sold on the idea, I was very curious to see how it would work.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies works exactly how you think it would go, it is the original text with zombie references written in the same style of Austen’s work. In the story, zombies are described as a strange plague in England and all people arm themselves wherever they go. The Bennet sisters are all accomplished in the fine arts of zombie slaying having been trained by Master Liu in a Shaolin temple.
What I liked about the story is how visual it is, it will certainly make an entertaining movie.  There are many fight sequences in the story, while Elizabeth battles zombies on her daily walks to fighting with Mr Darcy. Although I thought Elizabeth was too bloodthirsty and quick to anger though, she always wants to chop heads off when slighted. That was the only flaw in the book in my opinion.
I love the storyline of Charlotte Lucas and Mr Collins it’s funny and a little sad. I like Mr Collins a lot more for his loyalty to his wife.

Overall I liked the book; I thought it was a hoot. I think you’ll like it if you don’t take it too seriously. It won’t replace the popularity of Jane Austen’s original work so I don’t think fans of Austen need to worry about it.

2 comments:

  1. nom nom nom *noms on next person to read this*

    Why is it that Jane Austen is listed as a co-author? Is it simply because Seth Grahame Smith took so much from the original novel? Or did Jane Austen commision the writing of future books based off her novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason why they are listed together as co-authors is that Seth Grahame took Austen's original work, Pride and Prejudice and added zombies references into it. So about 99% of it is Austen's work.
      Jane Austen didn't commision future novels to be based off her book.

      Delete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...