Tuesday 27 May 2014

27. Something You Miss

Just to make a quick note before I respond to today's blog challenge.  I'll be finishing up the remaining 5 blog challenges for Carlyn and I this month as she has some matters that need attending to.  Have no fear though, she is still fully invested in our blog, just busy with important stuff for a little bit.  =) 

There are a lot of things and a lot of people that I miss.  I miss my family whom I do not get to see very often.  I miss my best friend who moved away last year and have not visited yet since he moved away with his family.  I miss when the Mets and Islanders were actually good.  I suppose I could go on and on about what I miss.  I think the things that I miss most though are those things I can't get back and those people whom I know I can't get back.  I really miss my dad a lot.  And strangely perhaps I miss being a kid.  I think that's what I want to focus on in this post.


One of the biggest reasons I think I miss being a kid is because it's something you don't really appreciate AS a kid.  There was the closeness that I had with my family, seeing them on a daily basis, which is something I don't have any more.  We still are a close and loving family, but we do not get the time together that we once had.   I had more friends as a kid than at any other point in my life.  In childhood I tended to be a lot less discerning about who my friends were and perhaps they were a lot less discerning in choosing me as a friend?  I don't know?  What does that mean?  Well, for one thing it meant that I had friends as a kid whom I would not have chosen to be friend's with today.  But it also meant that I didn't get as caught up in making judgements about others.  I think that innocence of just wanting to be friends with everyone is both a good and a bad thing.  As a kid though, I think it was mostly a good thing. 

I love the speed at which we learn new things in childhood.  It's amazing as I watch my nephew Tristram (my twin brother Clifford's son) and see how much more he's learnt in such a relatively  short period of time each time I get to visit them or they get to visit me. I miss that ability to pick up things quickly.   I also LOVE the imaginative abilities we have in childhood.  Perhaps some adults keep that but as a kid I was always creating new worlds and new creatures and new games.  My creativity seemed to be constantly at work.  I have creative moments as an adult, but they are fewer and further between then when I was a child.

If I can make a confession here.  While I do enjoy being an adult, it was kind of nice to not have so many responsibilities.  There is a kind of liberation in growing up and becoming responsible for things, but there is also pressure and stress at times.  There are times I wish I could just throw those away for a month, or a day or a minute.... but I know I can't.  As a kid there were times were I truly was care-free.  There is a different kind of liberation in that, where the stress and pressure strings are not attached.

I also miss the ability to walk goofy or jump around in a grocery store and have no one think twice about it.   Doing that kind of thing in adulthood kind of brings some dirty looks.  Being "goofy" and being "a kid" are synonymous... when you're a goofy adult it's synonymous with being crazy.  lol

Don't get me wrong either.  I'm not suggesting that I would want to be a kid forever if given the choice.  I like the whole ageing thing.  There would be something almost inhuman about being able to stay at one age or stop ageing at some point (other than death).   With that said though, I reserve the right to miss being a kid.  Is there a rule that everything you miss is something you want to have back?  That holds true for me with many of the things I miss, but not with my missing being a kid.  I don't want it back, I just don't want to forget what it was like, and I want to be able to recapture snippets of it at times (okay... so maybe I'm hedging a bit now on the not wanting it back thing). 

What do you miss? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...