Monday 30 June 2014

Entertainment Monday: June 30, 2014



One of the things I am really excited about with Entertainment Mondays is that Carlyn and I have a varied cross section of interests when it comes to movies, music, video games and any entertaiment choices we make.  As such, I hope that at least a few of our readers might be exposed to something new to them that will bring enjoyment. 

I have mentioned before how I listen regularly to an alternative music radio station here in the Capital Region of New York State.  That station, WEQX which transmits atop mount Equinox near Manchester, Vermont has exposed me to several bands that I have come to really enjoy over the last twelve years since I moved upstate.  One of those bands is Chvurches, a three member Scottish Band that relies heavily on their mastery of synthesized music to create a unique sound.  I love the lead singer's ( Lauren Mayberry)  voice. 

My favorite song by them currently is called Recover.


Their sound reminds me a bit of the 1980s with all the synth-pop that I grew up with during that period.  It's a more refined, educated and grown up version of some of the music that was just "fun" music for me to listen to back then. 

The first song I heard from them that initially turned me on to the band was The Mother We Share.


I hope for a lot of great music going forward from Chvrches who formed in 2011.  Their current album is called The Bones of What you Believe.  Who knows, if I'm lucky and they choose to come to the North Eastern part of the United States I might get to see them live.  I'd love to be able to give a review of one of their live concerts on our blog some day. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved the songs you selected Jon Bear. I had never heard of Chvrches before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carlyn. =) One of the things I like best about EQX is how much great music they play from alternative bands all over the world. I get to discover some bands who I might not have other wise known about, or it may have taken me years to find out about listening to only popular radio or country stations. I'm not just an EQX fan though as I enjoy most all radio stations that play most any kind of music so long as they do not have too many commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend introduced me to Chvrches about a year ago but I never got around to listening to their songs. I'm listening to Recover right now though, and I'm liking it so far! Is it just me, or does the singer's voice sound a little like Ellie Goulding's?

    Anyway, I'm envious of this radio station of yours. The radio stations here only play the most popular songs on the charts -- none of which I like/listen to. Spotify is super helpful, though. Thanks for putting this band on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lauren Mayberry sounds a little like Ellie Goulding. So I guess anyone who likes Ellie Goulding might enjoy Chvrches too.

      Delete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...