Monday 11 August 2014

Entertainment Monday: Vampire Weekend (August 11, 2014)


No, Vampire Weekend is not the newest tween movie or television sensation sweeping America, instead they are are the Alternative Music band from New York City who are beginning to make quite a name for themselves with the successes of their first three albums since they debuted in 2008 (formed 2006).  Their latest album Modern Vampires of the City won the Grammy for best Alternative Music album 2014.  "The band consists of lead vocalist and guitarist Ezra Koenig, guitarist/keyboardist and backing vocalist Rostam Batmanglij, drummer and percussionist Chris Tomson and bassist and backing vocalist Chris Baio."  
source
Oxford Comma 


                                                                Step 

When their self titled debut album came out I was immediately taken by several of their songs.  I love the sly humor of the writing that comes through in a lot of their tunes.  One of my favorite songs off of their first album is Oxford Comma.

I heard their sound described somewhere as a combination between the Beatles and the Beach Boys once.  Personally I don't quite get the comparison and while they'll be hard pressed to have the star power of either group from eras when the music industry did not have to compete with as many other entertainment options, I would not be surprised if they end up having the staying power with music fans given their auspicious beginnings.  Stylistically I think that their songs are fun and focus on social situations.  I don't want to use the word "issues" because I don't think their music necessarily tackles world matters, but focus more on personal matters in social interaction.

On their current release I really enjoy Step, a song I think is an example of what I mentioned that takes a look at the jealousies of relationships and questions of "possession" of another person with regards to relationships (at least from a male perspective).

I've mentioned a few times now about how I'd like to see a band live.  I don't mean to give the impression that I have the desire to see every band live that I enjoy.  I know I have to pick and choose given my monetary limitations.  With that said, given the opportunity, Vampire Weekend is definitely a band I would pick to see over many if not all other current bands.  There would be a few bands or performing artists who no longer perform live that I'd pick over them though and some of those may be discussed on future entertainment Mondays.  One of the things I love about music is how it can be from 100s of years ago and still be relevant.  Vampire Weekend has a chance to become one of those iconic bands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...