Monday 12 January 2015

Entertainment Monday: (January 12, 2015) Snow Tunes!



No, I did not misspell Entertainment Monday's title this week.  With it being the heart of Winter here now in the greater North East Region of the United States I figured I might share some "Snow Tunes" with just a few songs about or songs that mention snow which I like.

I have never been someone who really takes advantage of Winter in the North East as I do not ski, skate, snow shoe or partake in any outdoor Winter activities per se.  I do love the look of snow, and I think a snowy day is quiet and beautiful.  I even enjoy shoveling for the most part as long as I am not in a rush or late for something.  I do not enjoy driving in the snow, but who does?  Except for those crazy and fool hearty drivers who believe their four wheel drive vehicles will successfully navigate them across any road condition.  Yes, I'm taking to you truck driver who was riding up on the tail end of my vehicle this morning as I drove my little slip sliding car the 25 mile drive in to work.

I think that a lot of people in the North East are grumpy about snow because it makes them slow down and they risk accidents on the roadways.  Plus it's just downright cold.  I try to enjoy it though for what it is, much as I like to enjoy a good rain storm in the Summer Time now and then.

So without further ado here are the Snow Tunes I wish to share:

Valley Winter Song by Fountains of Wayne:



Yes, the group who is famous for the song "Stacey's Mom" actually has some really good music.  I love Valley Winter Song, because I live very close to New England (generally considered Massachusetts and Vermont and New Hampshire and Maine) on the boarder of New York and Vermont.  The song also mentions New York City.  So I feel close to home when I listen to Valley Winter Song, even when I'm far away.


Winter Snow by Audrey Assad and Chris Tomlin




While it is a Christmas Song: Winter Snow, written by Chris Tomlin and sung by Audrey Assad (Tomlin plays piano and does back up vocals)  is a song that I associate with the Winter and of course with Christ.  I can listen to it all Winter long.  I love the message and metaphor of Christ's arrival as a Winter Snowfall.  It also happens to be one of my favorite Christian songs of all time.

Winter, Fire and Snow by Orla Fallon




Winter, Fire and Snow is a Celtic Song, sung here by Orla Fallon.  It's a nice little tune about a mother who is waiting for her son to return home.  I am never sure if the information I read on line is entirely true or not, but I've found the songs authorship credited to Brendan Graham and Macdara Woods on the interweb, so hopefully they were the original writers.


Snow (Hey Oh) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers




There are times when I think some of the Red Hot Chili Peppers songs can sound a lot like one another and it bugs me a little.  Not sure why I added that, but it's more of an editorial note than anything, because on the whole I love a lot of the Red Hot Chili Peppers music, including Snow (Hey Oh)!  A quality band and a quality song for those long dark Winter afternoons and evenings!

So while they are all rather different stylistically, those are some of the songs I think of and like to listen to in Winter time, hopefully you will enjoy them too! =) 





2 comments:

  1. I forgot that North America is in winter. Do you have a snow shovel or do you use a regular shovel? The songs that I liked the most was Winter Snow and Winter, Fire and Snow. I particularly liked Winter Snow which I think is so simple yet beautifully sung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a snow shovel in winter time. I have two snow shovels, one in my house and I keep one in my car too. I've had the occasion to use the one in my car to dig myself out of a snowdrift I accidentally drove into once and to help others who were stranded as well during a particularly bad storm around 10 years ago. It's also smart to keep water and blankets in your car in winter time. =)

    I'm glad you liked some of the songs Carlyn!

    ReplyDelete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...