Monday 13 July 2015

Entertainment Monday: Simon and Garfunkel (Monday July 13, 2015)






Entertainment Monday: Simon and Garfunkel

Simon and Garfunkel were an iconic American band from the 1960s.  Many of their songs came to reflect the social and political strife of one of the most transcendent eras in American History.  Paul Simon was the featured writer of the group, but Art Garfunkel wrote a few of the duos songs.

The reason I wanted to share some of their music on Entertainment Monday was because Simon and Garfunkel have always been a band that gives me peace of mind and comfort.  I've had a pretty good but somewhat stressful week both inside and outside of work.  I did have a nice visit from my sister in law and mother which was great, but my sister in law is going through a challenging health issue that we hope has been resolved.  Any prayers for her full return to good health are very much appreciated. 

Work just had some issues that needed more time than typical to fix and having to try and fix those issues during the busiest times of the week when you work alone can be a little overwhelming sometimes.  I got through it though with the help of some of my coworkers who were kind enough to do what they could do while I tried to resolve the errors.  It was just stuff that we all must deal with from time to time, and yet it was enough to raise the blood pressure a bit. 

So here are some of the Simon and Garfunkel songs that I personally love, even though a few of them may not be counted among their most famous. 

Song Title: America

 
Song Title: Scarborough Fair/Canticle

Scarborough Fair is actually a very old folk song about a young man who goes off to war and sings to his girl back home that Simon and Garfunkel made popular during the turbulent 1960s.  



 


Song Title: Old Friends/Bookends

Old Friends/Bookends always makes me think of growing old and sitting with my twin brother Clifford who I am very close to.  
 
 
 Song Title: I am a Rock

I am a Rock is one of my brother Robert's favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs.  


Song Title: Leaves That are Green

Leaves That are Green is another song about growing older that I love. 


Song Title: The Dangling Conversation

The Dangling Conversation is the last of Simon and Garfunkel's songs I will share even though there are so many others that I love dearly.  This song is about a couple who remain together but do not share the love they once did for one another.  It's a very sad song.


 
There are so many attachments to family memories via the songs of Simon and Garfunkel.  Bridge Over Troubled Waters was a favorite of my grandfather.  They are a band that I have always and will always love to listen to, and especially so when I am stressed or put out.  They help bring my feet back to solid ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...