Saturday 26 January 2019

The Amish Cooking Class: The Seekers by Wanda E. Brunstetter

source
After reading a few sad and grim books, I decided to change pace and read something wholesome. What could be more wholesome than a novel about an Amish cooking? I’ve always had a fascination with Amish people, so I was looking forward to this book. Wanda E. Brunstetter has written numerous novels about Amish people and has some Amish heritage.

 Heidi Troyer starts a beginners cooking class to share her love of cooking. She has five students who each have a different motivation for joining her class. The chapters alternate between the characters. The characters are Charlene, a young woman who wants to impress her future mother in law, Loretta, a widow who wants to cook wholesome meals for her children, Ron, a Vietnam veteran who has a hidden agenda and Eli, an Amish man wants to learn to cook after his wife died and Kendra, a pregnant young woman needing to fill in time.

I really enjoyed the chapters when the cooking class was taking place. The recipes sounded delicious and I was thrilled that the recipes were included in the back of the book. I can’t wait to try them. I didn’t have a favourite character in this book. They all had some good points. I felt really sorry for some of the characters and there was one where I wanted a different ending.

One thing that I found jarring with this book was the dialogue. I thought the characters sounded similar and a little too formal at times. I didn’t think the dialogue sounded natural. I was later surprised to learn that the book was written in 2017. I thought the book was from the 90s from the old-fashioned dialogue.

I still enjoyed the book overall despite the dialogue. It’s the first book in series so I do want to read the next books to learn what happens next to some characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...