Friday 24 April 2020

Mary Poppin by P.L Travers review by Carlyn


Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers, Mary Shepard (9780544439566) - PaperBack - Children's Fiction Classics
source

 
I have a terrible habit of starting books and not finishing them. I decided that since I had a lot more time due to the Corona Virus, that I would finish Mary Poppins by P.L Travers. It is a book that I started reading in 2018. I found it in an old box when I was doing some cleaning.

Mary Poppins by P.L Travers is a book about a magical and mysterious nanny named Mary Poppins. She is looks after Michael, Jane, John and Barbara Banks who live on 17 Cherry Tree Lane, London. Mary Poppins takes the children on adventures like going on a trip around the world using a magical compass, having tea parties on the ceiling and meeting talking animals. All the adventures are episodic and leaves you wanting more. My favourite chapters were the one about a cow who couldn’t stop dancing and John and Barbara who are babies talking to a crow.

I think one of the intriguing things about Mary Poppins is her mysterious character. She never explains the weird stuff that happens and even denies that it happened at all. The children are left not knowing what to think.

I also watched the movie for the first time and I thought it was magical. I can see why it’s a family favourite for many people. There are many more Mary Poppins books but I’m not going to go out of my way to read them. If I find one at a secondhand bookshop, I’ll give it a go.  I think this book is great for children, it would be easy for children to read by themselves or have an adult read to them.


1 comment:

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...