Monday 29 February 2016

Entertainment Monday: Deadpool (Monday 29 February 2016)


Deadpool is the newest Marvel character to get a movie franchise. Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) was a wise talking mercenary whose life changes when he falls in love for the first time with Vanessa Carlysle (Morena Baccarin) and he learns that he has cancer.
source

 A representative from Weapon X, a secret organization approaches Wade and claims that they can cure his cancer with an experimental drug. In order for the drug to work, Ajax/Francis Freeman (Ed Skein) tortures Wade because the drug activates when the patient is in extreme distress. The treatment is successful and Wade is cured of cancer but horribly deformed. He is also able to regenerate his cells so that he’s virtually immortal.  

Uncomfortable with his appearance and wanting revenge on Ajax/Francis, Wade becomes a masked vigilante known as Deadpool. The X Men come to convince him to use his powers for good but all Wade cares about is finding Francis to change him back to his handsome self.

source
Last week, I went to see Deadpool with my best friend and her niece and nephew. It was a mistake to bring the kids. Deadpool is not for children. Deadpool wisecracks are too smutty for a twelve and thirteen year old. There’s also graphic violence,  sex scenes and nudity. My friend thought that the movie was only rated M in Australia , which means it’s for mature audiences and it would be the same as other superhero movies like Captain America or Iron Man. Nope! It’s a movie for adults. The movie is actually rated MA 15+ which is for people over 15 years old but children can see the film if they are accompanied by an adult. The cashier did warn us that there would be bad language in the film but we weren’t told about all the other stuff.

source

Personally, I loved the movie and now I have a favourite superhero. I didn’t know anything about Deadpool so I didn’t know where the movie would go. He’s not a hero yet but he probably will be in the next movie. He’s an antihero as he’s not interested in saving the world just yet. I like Deadpool because he’s a bad boy and his jokes and antics are hilarious. I missed 10 or 20 minutes of the film because the kids were slow to get ready but I enjoyed what I did see of the film. I feel happy for Ryan Reynolds over the success of this movie. His first attempt at the superhero franchise was as the Green Lantern which was a box office flop. I know he is a successful movie star with millions of dollars but I still feel sorry for people when their hopes and dreams are dashed.
source
I thought the co-stars were great as well. I’m a fan of Morena Baccarin from seeing her in sci fi shows such as V and Firefly. She’s also appeared in many other TV shows and movies but I think this is her biggest role yet. There were new X Men characters introduced in this movie and they were Brianna Hildebrand as Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Stefan Kapičić as Colossus. I didn’t find them that interesting but I hope to see them again in the sequel.



I’m looking forward to the sequel and hopeful that one day there will be an assemble movie with other Marvel characters. The action scenes were good in the movie with lots of intricate fight sequences and plenty of things that blow up. The movie moves at a fast pace perfectly matching Deadpool’s energetic personality. 

4 comments:

  1. Really lovely review, Carlyn! Couldn't agree more about the inappropriateness for young audiences, it really should be rated more strictly than just an MA15+, in my opinion!

    I also get how you feel about Ryan Reynold's finally achieving such a huge success. Although I never got to watch Green Lantern, I think the fact that it was nowhere near as hyped up as Deadpool just goes to show how vast the differences are in terms of the two movies' popularity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renae! I think in America, the movie is rated R because Ryan Reynolds said in an interview that it was the highest grossing R rated movie in America. Maybe they were just afraid of losing some of their audience if it was rated R in Australia.

      Delete
  2. All of my friends have seen this one and loved it so now I really want to see it too! Although there might be quite a lot of colourful language it sounds like a funny, good movie that is well worth the time it takes to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do see the film Olivia and that you enjoy it. It's a great funny action film.

      Delete

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...