Friday 9 October 2020

Super Con-nerd by Oliver Phommavanh - Review by Carlyn

 

Super Con-nerd by Oliver Phommavanh is the sequel to Con-nerd written by the same author. The book is about twelve-year-old Connor known as Con-nerd by his friends. He’s a Chinese Australian boy who has just started high school and is obsessed with drawing.

In this book, Connor makes it into a selective high school where all the students excel academically. It is an adjustment for Connor to not be the smartest in the room and to struggle with some of the schoolwork. Connor also has to contend with a bully who competes to the be the best in every subject and constantly tells him that he does not belong in the school.

Connor finds solace in drawing his comic The Fireproof Knights. However, his mother wants him to study more so he can have a good future.

I enjoy reading this book. It made me think about when I first started high school. It was a very long time ago, but I remember what an adjustment it is from primary school. I could relate to Connor feeling sad about drifting apart from his primary school friends because they went to different high schools. Connor tries to keep in contact with them but conflicting schedules and changing interests made it difficult.

I was also reminded about bullying. I could sympathize with Connor’s feelings of isolation and self-doubt. I work in a school and I do have to deal with cases about bullying. I know how stressful it would be to have to see your bully every day. Fortunately, Connor stands up for himself and has friends who support him. I think that older children will enjoy this book. There is lots of things they could relate to and funny moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We absolutely love comments but please don't comment just to advertise your giveaways or ask us to follow you, such comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...